Is RGB8 == BMP or is RGB8 <> BMP ?

Bits and byte level questions, ideas and suggestions for the CITP protocol.
jaekel

Is RGB8 == BMP or is RGB8 <> BMP ?

Postby jaekel » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:19 am

Hello!

I have some questions about RGB8 with regards to MSEX 1.0 and MSEX 1.1. Thank you for your help!

1. How is RGB8 specified?

In another topic (http://www.citp-protocol.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9) it was said that plain RGB data (RGB24) is sent without the header information. Is that correct?

This works well with the MSEX->StFr package using Capture Polar, WYSIWIG, and the CITP Test Suite software.

But what about thumbnails (MSEX->ELTh, MSEX->EThn)?
I have tested Avolites' Titan Simulator and LSC Clarity and they don't accept RGB8 thumbnails. But when we switch to BMP data (BMP Header info + RGB24 data) they accept it and preview the thumbnails!

Which method is correct?

2. Is there a difference between Streaming and Thumbnails, and their compatible image formats?

3. Could the next version of the CITP protocol include more details and specifications about supported image formats so that everyone can comply with these standards?

4. This is more a suggestion: Does it make sense to add a BMP extension on top of RGB8, PNG and JPEG?
This would make it easier to work with.

Thank you.

lasso
Site Admin

Re: Is RGB8 == BMP or is RGB8 <> BMP ?

Postby lasso » Wed May 02, 2012 6:49 am

Hi,

1. RGB8 is raw triples of 8-bit RGB data. Sending BMP here would be wrong!

2. No there is no difference.

3. I'll update the documentation right away.

4. Personally I would avoid introducing more file formats as it increases the complexity of all softwares. BMP doesn't add any value to RGB8, PNG and JPEG.

Cheers,
Lars
Lars Wernlund
Technical Manager, Capture Sweden

jaekel

Postby jaekel » Fri May 04, 2012 12:49 pm

Hi,

1.) I understand, real 8-bit RGB data is the right way
2.) okay, fine
3.) Thank you
4.) Yes, I understand this

Thank you for help and information

jaekel

Postby jaekel » Thu May 24, 2012 4:10 pm

Sorry, an other question about RGB8

With different media servers, I testing resolutions such as 50x50 for streaming CITP->MSEX->StFr, and have problems because this resolution cannot be divided by 4. This particular media server always send the pitch (like BMP pitch), which results in disturbed images on our side. That is why I ask if it is correct behavior.

If the pitch is not part of the data, can this please be included in the documentation?

lasso
Site Admin

Postby lasso » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:01 am

jaekel wrote:With different media servers, I testing resolutions such as 50x50 for streaming CITP->MSEX->StFr, and have problems because this resolution cannot be divided by 4. This particular media server always send the pitch (like BMP pitch), which results in disturbed images on our side. That is why I ask if it is correct behavior.

If the pitch is not part of the data, can this please be included in the documentation?

I'm not sure I understand completely, but the "original" pitch is part of the VSrc message!
Lars Wernlund
Technical Manager, Capture Sweden

Return to “Design - For developers”