One mediaserver with many outputs - how to ?

Bits and byte level questions, ideas and suggestions for the CITP protocol.
Lao

One mediaserver with many outputs - how to ?

Postby Lao » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:03 pm

My question is about mediaserver with multiple physical outputs. How can i divide it into multiple independed units ? Should i run multiple PLoc threads with different ports or no? Please suggest fr me right decision.
Best regards, Alex.

lasso
Site Admin

Re: One mediaserver with many outputs - how to ?

Postby lasso » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:59 pm

Lao wrote:My question is about mediaserver with multiple physical outputs. How can i divide it into multiple independed units ? Should i run multiple PLoc threads with different ports or no? Please suggest fr me right decision.

No, you do not need to send multiple PLoc messages. I'm a bit confused by the question - MSEX has good support for multiple outputs, search the PDF for 'physicaloutput' and you will find some hints. Is there any message in particular that raises questions?

/ Lars
Lars Wernlund
Technical Manager, Capture Sweden

Lao

Postby Lao » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:13 pm

May be this is clear, but i still don't understand some things. I was read docs about "physicaloutput" parameter, but ...
Tell me if i wrong. VSRC - this is a only message for naming channels (outputs) and layers. Information about binding layer to output can be found in LSTA message, ok? So, can i expect that if i use 4 channel mediaserver with 4 layers each, information from VSRC and LSTA is enough for correct visualization in the desk?
Best regards, Alexander.

lasso
Site Admin

Postby lasso » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:22 am

Lao wrote:May be this is clear, but i still don't understand some things. I was read docs about "physicaloutput" parameter, but ...
Tell me if i wrong. VSRC - this is a only message for naming channels (outputs) and layers. Information about binding layer to output can be found in LSTA message, ok? So, can i expect that if i use 4 channel mediaserver with 4 layers each, information from VSRC and LSTA is enough for correct visualization in the desk?

There is a lot of freedom in this protocol, both for media servers and consoles. What some systems call layers don't map at all to what other systems call layers and 'physical output' may be a weird term in some systems too. On top of this the protocol does not dictate how consoles or visualizers deal with these either. Without more detail is sounds by you that you have 16 layers, 4 per physical output. This should work fine! =)

Cheers,
Lars
Lars Wernlund

tomgr

Postby tomgr » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:46 pm

Too much freedom allows for incompatible implementations.

Working with MSEX support on a multiple output server which does not support video streaming, so VSRC is irrelevant.

There does not seem to be a way to exactly correlate a particular layer on a particular output in the MSEX 1.2 LSta message to the LayerCount and LayerInformation provided in the MSEX 1.2 SInf message. SInf just gets an array of DMX source info with no requirement that layers be reported in any particular order and with no regard to physical output. Physical output is only provided in the LSta message.

While LSta is mandatory and is sent on a periodic basis, physical output information can only be derived from a status message subsequent to getting an actual server information packet (Sinf).

SInf should report an array of physical outputs, each of which contains layer count information.

tom

lasso
Site Admin

Postby lasso » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:44 am

tomgr wrote:There does not seem to be a way to exactly correlate a particular layer on a particular output in the MSEX 1.2 LSta message to the LayerCount and LayerInformation provided in the MSEX 1.2 SInf message. .. Physical output is only provided in the LSta message.

Accurate.

tomgr wrote:SInf should report an array of physical outputs, each of which contains layer count information.

The current solution allows layers to hop between outputs. Your suggestion would fixate layers to outputs, which would make MSEX layers useless to a media server with a more flexible layer approach.

If you are dependent of the layer <-> output mapping and cannot support media servers that allow layer output hopping, then:
- Don't proceed with your initialization until after you've received the LSta message
- Disconnect / abort / warn the user if you detect layer output hopping
Lars Wernlund

Return to “Design - For developers”