Record DMX Preset to Console

Bits and byte level questions, ideas and suggestions for the CITP protocol.
owaits

Record DMX Preset to Console

Postby owaits » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:43 pm

I would like to see the ability for the media server to send a command to the console to store a preset state of DMX values. The user would then be able to pickup that state and use it in their programming on the console.

Here is a use case to explain what I mean:

- user creates a look on the media server
- click a button that says "send to console"
- prompted to enter a legend
- press enter
- a new palette appears in the consoles show library
- user then creates a cue list from that state

It could also be extended by providing an image legend as well as a text legend which is a snapshot of the output.

I am proposing that it only supports raw DMX values to prevent an argument over the format of any extended data. The console would have to reverse engineer the data to make any use of it.

lasso
Site Admin

Re: Record DMX Preset to Console

Postby lasso » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:52 pm

Hi Olie,

owaits wrote:I would like to see the ability for the media server to send a command to the console to store a preset state of DMX values. The user would then be able to pickup that state and use it in their programming on the console.

What I had once envisioned, although I don't know if anybody has got it implemented, is for the media server to feed back any changes made instantly to the "programmer" of the console, the DMX values required to reach the give state, using SDMX. That way you could make changes on the media server as you would when you're programming lights, then when you hit "Record" on the console, it would all be there. =)
Lars Wernlund
Technical Manager, Capture Sweden

owaits

Postby owaits » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:44 pm

I think it would be annoying for the user to have to keep switching between the console and the media server everytime they wanted to record something. Also with SDMX there is no way of isolating the channels to be recorded by the console.

lasso
Site Admin

Postby lasso » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:20 pm

owaits wrote:I think it would be annoying for the user to have to keep switching between the console and the media server everytime they wanted to record something.

Good point.

owaits wrote:Also with SDMX there is no way of isolating the channels to be recorded by the console.

Well, I can think of two options - "record all", which would record all channels belonging to layers of a media servers where any channel was changed (which depends on all layers being reported as you noted in another post), or "record changed" which would record only changed channels.

But if I understood you correctly, we're talking about a "RecordChannels" command, containing a channel/value-pair array and perhaps a name? Then all these recordings would end up somewhere (maybe in a some kind of category or in a cuelist or whatever the console calls it), so the user could then pick it up from there? Does sound useful.

More aspects?
Lars Wernlund
Technical Manager, Capture Sweden

Return to “Design - For developers”