Layer Types

Bits and byte level questions, ideas and suggestions for the CITP protocol.
owaits

Layer Types

Postby owaits » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:50 pm

Where have we got to with specifying Layer Types in the LayerInformation message?

Can we also clarify what is supposed to be included in the LayerInformation. A number of implementations I have come across do not include all ArtNet recieving items in the layer status only those which have thumbnails. We rely on all items of the media server which accept DMX to be included in the layer information reply.

lasso
Site Admin

Re: Layer Types

Postby lasso » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:28 pm

owaits wrote:Where have we got to with specifying Layer Types in the LayerInformation message?

Not very far at all I believe. Currently layers are only tied to a media library type, which in effect means that a layer that doesn't deal with media .. well, isn't a layer.

owaits wrote:Can we also clarify what is supposed to be included in the LayerInformation. A number of implementations I have come across do not include all ArtNet recieving items in the layer status only those which have thumbnails. We rely on all items of the media server which accept DMX to be included in the layer information reply.

When drafting the MSEX layer we (or at least I) intentionally stayed away from trying to define the DMX layout through MSEX in any way. What I'm saying is that MSEX is vague by design when it comes to these things - so it's not a replacement for console intelligence and dmx personalities. Now, one of the reasons for this is that when we started I guess there was some hope for things like ACN to solve the DMX part - MSEX was going to be all the rest that ACN wouldn't touch. Perhaps it's time for plan B?
Lars Wernlund
Technical Manager, Capture Sweden

Return to “Design - For developers”